January 20th already?? Holy Shit where does it go??? Well 2 and a half hours kinda slowed down today…. it wasn’t exciting… it wasn’t 96 shots on goal level epic…. but it was a win and a needed (with some spolied asshats Devils fans out who OMG WE LOST THREE IN A ROW were contemplating suicide… for Christ’s Sake… try being a Buffalo fan then whine about Panic… and Chan Gailey… ouch), but the Devils needed some rest and a willing opponent and they certainly got that in the Florida Panthers who looked like the Benoit Family Show on Ice tonight :p
– Jacques Lemaire… he has the pulse of this team…. he knows they’re tired and it showed on the road trip, and this team needs a break, but the schedule isn’t giving them one… so he’s cutting back on the practices and even cancelled the morning skate:
“Go back to bed,” Lemaire said…. “They looked different,” Lemaire explained. “What’s wrong? I don’t know. That’s the million dollar question, what’s going on. A lot of things are not going right. It’s how to fix it.” (from my point of view some time off was a good way to do it!!)
– Nick Palmeri… he was in the good spots on the ice (gotta love a rookie who gives the goalie the ol’stinkface during the pp)… he was in the nasty areas (something the Devils need more of)… and he set up the Devils winning goal… he played good and I was happy to see him get his just rewards today (which is funny because if you remember WAY back in the rookie game I blasted him cause he just sucked with Tedenby)… but like that game this was only one game and he DID whiff on an empty net pp-rebound…. so no one’s perfect but a damn good debut!! (Patrick Davis was far more forgettable and served his purpose in making Rod Pelley be PIST… or perturbed if you have problems with me stealing the butchery of the Enlgish Language and making it good again :p).. and it was good to see Palmeri get rewarded with some first line ice time (and his in your fact style will make room for Zach and Zajac!)
– Dean McAmmond… he had a nice game, but man that blocked shot and beat the clock empty net goal was again a thing of pretty and good to see hard work rewarded like that!!!
– Colin White…. had a good smart game and two great knock em down hits in open ice… was good to see…. he covered alot of….ummm… gaffes (I’ll be generous)…..of Mike Mottau tonight, who was certainly gonna play his way out of the lineup this way…
– Also… how could I miss on my Andy?? <3 … good smart solid game… and a wicked "how do you do" shot that went through everyone and Vokun was lucky to get a leg on!
– the penalty kill…. barely had time to yell KILL KILL KILL…..not that anyone was paying attention anyway…..
– this game was kinda sleepy and lifeless at points… but hey you win ugly to get out of a funk (and the morbid douchebag side of me wanted to see more spoiled Devil-bitch-fan paranoia…. oh well)
– the power play is STILL O fer Oh-Ten… that's not good… it came close, and I loved the puck possession and most of the pp time was in the Florida End… it's getting there and Palmeri getting his shit dirty was a good thing too…..
– 27 games in a row for mb30?? Really??? I understand he played good and we go through this shit every year… but it's still an Olympic Year… and a night off Mentally…. it's a good thing now and then….
– And yeah Vokun played well too… but one goal?? That's still not gonna cut it more often then not…. again it's a win and you take it… but there's gonna be a lotta ugly nights with Elias out (again)
– it was quite amusing to see after some big saves and nice play both way to see the only goal scored on the goalie was a simple faceoff dot blast that gets a stick and just squeezes by Vaokun… go figure!!
– Well where to start tonight??
The crowd was kinda dead and we were too… though Patrick Davis blowing a tire and damn near smashing into Pando was funny… there wasn't a lot tonight… (hell even poor Clutch was in hiding tonight!!) but we got two gems for ya:
– Me and her LordShip went to the restaurant tonight to use my buy one get one coupon (was kinda nice to have something good given to me as a STH that wasn't demanded or bitched for by the people who buy tickets from me :p)… anyway… so for some reason the main area was "all reserved" (for a Panther game?? CMON)… so we got stuck in the bar area… by the kitchen… this was a good thing… there was a lil black woman yelling out some GEMS (I called her the kitchen Nazi, her job was to crack the whip and make all the cooks… well… cook and do their job)… and she let out some gems I tell ya!!
** "Yo these meatballs need a sista!!"
** "oh shit I needed a triplet"
** "Get this sista a finger and NOW!!!"
(I do recommend the bar seats for this amusement alone!)
– One thing that can't be left out was the standard badgering of Tasha (birthday tomorrow or not) and her Parise/Bergfors curse of not being able to see them score goals when she watches (and no assists don't count, i tried that rationalization… we know how well that works on women … right?)… so we took turns trying to screen HER on the power play… the things we do for team and her sitting in the fetal position trying to cover her eyes… good stuff!! And it did lead to this semi-disgusting line:
Tasha: I wanna be in the middle of a Parise/Bergfors sandwich
Me: Well then ya might wanna start learning how to take faceoffs!!
(not exactly the way she wants the cream filling from a twisted oreo cookie)
…. well that was a nice easy way to shake off the hockey writing rust and get back to shit… back at it Friday Night!!!!