Damn what a slow and un-exciting way to start off the weekend of what’s been a pretty awesome near two-week-celebration of my birthday (on Sunday mind you…. Sun Tavern may never be the same again :p)… though I feel bad for my friend and long-time reader Barry from Scotland, he’s been out here for two games… and seen TWO DUDs so far… least he gets the Flyers tonight….there was about one thing and one thing alone that was worthy about tonight’s match-up… it was the mildly anticipated duel between mb30, and last season’s most unlikely savoir of season in Scott Clemmensen…. (and even though I’m not feeling it today and I have no energy and this game sucked… I am a person of my word… I said I’d cover the home games… well…. here I am :p)
– I have to say I was VERY happy for the reception that Scott Clemmensen got from the fans… we as a fan base (and be honest most sets of fans are this way too) can get bagged on for being classless assholes…. we boo’ed Niedermayer (I know I did), we don’t care when Rafalski is back…. Gionta’s reaction should be interesting if he’s healthy for the second Montreal game… but last night… all the yelling of SUCKS for the opposing team STOPPED when Clemmensen was introduced as the goalie… hell he got a bigger ovation then most of the Devils intro’ed after (well except Andy)…. and it was good to see that we as a fan base can at least have a memory that extends one season :)… hell even Pete who would yell at his own mom if she wore the other team’s jersey was yelling:
“Hey clemmensen…we miss you!!!…………… And we hope you live!!”
Awwww (see I have a heart, fuckers!!)
– I also thought Rod Pelley had a nice little game….dare I say… PIST PELLEY POWERFUL!!!!!!!! Hell that line even got double-digit ice time… and McAmmond’s goal (which was the first since like color TV was invented) was pretty shifty and again he reminds me way too damn much of John Madden…..
– Brian Rolston… the offense has been back in the last six weeks, and we’re actually getting the player advertised for here in him at last!
– and no matter how dead, or empty the arena can be… or how out of it the fans are…. lil Nicky brings his shit and his A GAME every night… tonight’s just one of those nights you can really love and appreciate that kid’s passion and there ain’t much else good to talk about tonight….
– though it was a fitting tribute tonight to Scott Clemmensen as well… he scares the shit out of you… bad goals go in….his technique is clumsy and borderline WTF-worthy, but hot damn he played in this building and HE WON, just about every time… I’ll call that a positive as I can actually remember a lot of the FUN that last season was (until that miserable March and April….)
– Wow, even yahoo screwed this one up: “Florida’s Michael Frolik (R) beats New Jersey’s Martin Brodeur, who was denied in his first try at record shutout No. 104.” … someone wanna tell the guy writing on the FRONT PAGE, that the Devils had a game Wednesday too… so it was the 2nd try??? Thanks, K-BYE!
– This is kinda all you need to know about it being a bad night….. (A. Greene 20:02 0 0 -2)… it’s actually kinda funny because I thought he was kinda GOOD with the stick checks and the little plays that kept the puck away from the Panthers and took away 4-5 good chances, and stopped an empty net with a slick little stick move….or am I covering too much for my man? :p
– the Devils had just gotten back into the game and it was 3-2 after the sweet McAmmond goal, and it looked like they were about to crank it up and get going again…..and they let Frolik rumble, bumble and stumble in CLEAN on that damn breakaway, and yes it was a sweet perfect move and abusrd finish over the pad… but you CAN’T DO THAT right when you got shit back your way, I know they’re human… they’re allowed a stinker between two rivalry games in Phily and Carolina but…. aw….. shit, this just took what was a revived crowd out of it too…. uugghhhhh
(not much here either…. we’re saving it for tonight)
– I saw a tiny, really skinny young lady walking into the ice lounge with a Langenbrunner jersey… and you’re going “ok, so what’s your point?”… well when you’re such a tiny lil girl like that and the name is SO DAMN LONG it gets all mooshed up in the back and you can’t read the thing and it makes ya even look more tiny and dainty then y’are… don’t do it… it make you look brittle and shit… stick with the small names… go Pairse (AHHHHH), Zajac….hell go Andy… we all should!!! Or even customize… I saw a MOM jersey… CMON MOM JERSEYS!!!!!
– My lone facebook contributor:
Steve LaFlamme …there is no ‘ctrl’ key on Andy Greene’s keyboard. Andy Greene is always in control. (we didn’t have enough for pure Andy Greene worship tonight…. I expect more tomorrow :p) (sorry guys I scrapped the SMS code idea… I didn’t think it was gonna save this write-up)
– but in the theme of it….. I did have an OMG WTF IS THAT MOMENT…. after the 2nd period I make my trip to the bathroom… I hear a weird bouncing sound… and it was that puffed up JS Giguere-sized “Lil NJ” (and I thought my “bastard son was a MESS lookit lil NJ eh??) and he’s bouncing through the hallways running up and down like he’s the freaking stay puft Marshmellow man…. or of course your 2003 Conn-solation Symthe winner as well…..
Damn I got nothin else… this was a stink, the Flyers are in 10 hours or so… I’m done here :p